Construction Service History

A Look Back on the History of Construction Service
Construction Service was established in the 1920’s as a sand & gravel and redi-mix concrete supplier. Their lone redi-mix concrete plant was located on Page Boulevard in Springfield. The sand & gravel operation, located in Wilbraham, had such high quality aggregate material it was railed to New York City.There it was used in the manufacturing of concrete for many structures, with the most notable being the Empire State Building in the early 1930’s.

In 1946 Alfred Dauphinais acquired the business through receivership. Alfred, who had begun E.L. Dauphinais in 1928 in Grafton, MA saw this as a great opportunity. With the help of his sons Albert, Emile, & Armand, Construction Service began to flourish.

In the 1950’s the redi-mix business was expanded into Amherst, largely due to the growth of the University of Massachusetts. During the 1960’s they acquired Valentine Concrete, with plants located in Springfield and Northampton. In the late 1970’s, the redi-mix business was expanded further through the purchase of the concrete division of J.S. Lane, adding plants in West Springfield, Westfield, & Chicopee. When the 1980’s came around the redi-mix business was once again expanded through the acquisition of A. Giard & Son’s Ware location.

The aggregate business was a very important aspect of their company. After acquiring Construction Service in 1946, the Dauphinais family added sand & gravel locations in Palmer, Amherst, Monson, and Ludlow to compliment the Wilbraham sand & gravel operation, as well as their growing redi-mix concrete business.

In 1987 Construction Service was sold to Egerton Trust, a British development company based in London, England. As fate would have it, in 1992 Egerton Trust sold the business to Albert Dauphinais and his son Vincent. After their long run in the business, Vincent sold Construction Service to the Carroll family in 2008.

Carroll Concrete is a family owned business, with its main office based in Newport, NH. The Carrolls operate 17 redi-mix concrete plants and several aggregate sites throughout Vermont & New Hampshire.

Construction Service continues to be managed and operated with the highest regards to quality and service.